Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Celtic Punk

In my second of my genre examinations, I'm going to go over one that I think is one of the best around, but is still a little underwhelming, Celtic Punk.

I first discovered Celtic Punk while in high school. I had downloaded a Dropkick Murphys cover of "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock n' Roll)". To put it simply, I was unimpressed at the time. I didn't know who they were, so I assumed they were just another punk band. I really got into the genre while listening to a "Rock Against Bush" compilation. There was a song by Flogging Molly, "Drunken Lullabies", and I fell in love with the Celtic Punk genre.

The genre was started in the 80s by The Pogues. Bands like Dropkick Murphys, The Real McKenzies, Flogging Molly and Flatfoot 56 are current leaders of the movement.

Celtic Punk is known for its rowdiness like at a soccer match. Many of the lyrical themes are based upon personal, socio-political issues, camaraderie and drinking, among other lyrical themes. It's punk, so it's fast, simple and rousing--very rousing. Dropkick Murphys, one of the genre's leaders, are known for their anthemic choruses that get you singing along easily. There is also a subgenre called Gaelic Punk, where lyrics are sung in Gaelic.

Instrumentation can vary, but it's typically the usual guitar-bass-drums but other instruments can be added. Bagpipes, flutes, mandolins, banjos, accordions and tin whistles are popular additions. Some bands are acoustic, but I find the best ones are electric.

While you may that Celtic Punk is restricted to Irish people and Irish-Americans, I disagree. There are Celtic Punk bands from Germany and Slovenia. There's even a Japanese band called The Cherry Cokes. Celtic Punk is like a party, and it's for everyone. It's arguably one of the most fun genres in music right now.

If you want to get started, here's some bands to give a listen:
The Pogues
Dropkick Murphys
Flogging Molly
The Real McKenzies
Black 47
Flatfoot 56
Mr. Irish Bastard
The Cherry Cokes

Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment