Tuesday, July 23, 2013

I Don't Care About the Royal Baby

Okay, here's the thing: First and foremost, I might as well make it clear that I am opposed to monarchy of all kinds. The House of Windsor is part of that. And while I can't do anything about it except give emotional and moral support, I would love to see the British people tell the monarchy to go away. Second, I am an American, so if you want to you can tell me I'm full of bollocks, but I'm approaching this from a republican (not the American political party, but from the perspective of someone who supports republics).

That being said, it's part of the reason why I can't stand all this coverage about the royal baby. I guess as people, I should congratulate the royal couple but other than that, why should I care? The baby's going to have a cushy life supported by the British taxpayers while the rest of Britain struggles to make ends meet, just like the rest of the world. Really, the royal family is nothing but a bunch of figureheads. Why should they keep them?

There are some arguments for keeping them. One of them is tourism. The royal family is said by supporters to be a big source of tourism for Britain. Well, I hate to say it, but people go to Britain to see Britain. Buckingham Palace is just one sight to see in London. There's still Trafalgar Square, the Tower of London, Palace of Westminster, the London Eye and a lot of other locations. Hell, the whole of Britain has sights like Stonehenge. Hell, they could keep Buckingham Palace if the monarchy is abolished. Just look at Versailles. it hasn't been inhabited in a long time and it's still a popular tourist destination.

And, here on our side of the Pond, I can't understand why Americans are getting so worked up over this. I mean, we rebelled to get rid of being controlled by a monarchy, why the hell are we Americans getting so worked up over this? Is this part of our ridiculous celebrity worship? I think it is, we'd prefer to hear about the royal baby than things that really matter and the media obliges.

The fact of the matter is, monarchism belongs in the dustbin of history. The American and French Revolutions, the Enlightenment and modern times have made it possible for the average person to not only have a say in government, but equal not just under the law, but in status. The idea that some family is inherently better just because of their bloodlines is out of date in this day and age! Why must we keep monarchies in our world?

Those are my views on it. Yes, I did go on a tangent about monarchy, but I might as well say it now. Just get rid of it, Britain. You'll be much better off.

No comments:

Post a Comment